News and Announcements
The proceedings of "Architectural History Conference/Turkey" has been published:
1. TÜRKİYE MİMARLIK TARİHİ KONGRESİ
ARCHITECTURAL HISTORY CONFERENCE/TURKEY I
New title in our Graduate Research Symposia series recently appeared:
“Spaces / Times / Peoples: Domesticity, Dwelling and Architectural History” | “Mekanlar / Zamanlar / İnsanlar: Evsellik, Ev, Barınma ve Mimarlık Tarihi”, edited by Lale Özgenel
METU talks ARCHITECTURAL HISTORY – SPRING 2016 - METU FACULTY OF ARCHITECTURE KUBBEALTI HALL
ODTÜ MIMARLIK TARIHI KONUŞMALARI - 2016 İLKBAHAR - ODTÜ MİMARLIK FAKÜLTESİ KUBBEALTI SALONU, 12:30-14:00
09.03.2016 Çarşamba / Wednesday
Ünal Araç, Hacettepe Üniversitesi “Muşkara'dan Nevşehir'e: Bir Osmanlı Yerleşiminin Dâmâd İbrâhim Paşa’nın Bânîliğinde Kuruluş Öyküsü (1718-1730)”
22.03.2016 Salı / Tuesday
Şule Kılıç Yıldız, METU “The Former Shape of Konstantiniyye: The Byzantine Heritage of İstanbul Through the Eyes of Ottoman Intellectuals”
24.03.2016 Perşembe / Thursday
Ufuk Soyöz, Istanbul Kemerburgaz Üniversitesi “Teatrâl Önyargı: Eski Roma’da Kalıcı Tiyatro Binası İnşa Yasağı”
04.04.2016 Pazartesi / Monday
Oya Şenyurt, Kocaeli Üniversitesi “Osmanlı Mimarisinin Temel İlkeleri: Resim ve İnşâ‘ Üzerinden Geliştirilen Farklı Bir Yaklaşım”
03.05.2016 Salı / Tuesday
Cecilia Olovsdotter, Swedish Research Institute in Istanbul “Architecture in Late Roman and Early Byzantine Art (c. 300-800): Forms, Functions and Meanings”
METU Architectural History Graduate Researches Symposium (December 24-25, 2015)
“Spaces / Times / Peoples: Nostalgia and Architectural History”
METU Architectural History Graduate Researches Symposium (December 12-13, 2013)
“Spaces / Times / Peoples: Domesticity, Dwelling and Architectural History” | “Mekanlar / Zamanlar / İnsanlar: Evsellik, Ev, Barınma ve Mimarlık Tarihi”
* METU Architectural History Graduate Researches Symposium (DECEMBER 1-2, 2011)
“Spaces / Times / Peoples: City and Architectural History”
* GRADUATE SEMINARS: ARCHITECTURAL HISTORY BETWEEN CULTURES: THEORIES AND METHODOLOGIES (November 2, 2011)
* AMBIVALENT GEOGRAPHIES > WORKSHOP III Interactions beyond Europe in Comparative Perspective (November 3-4, 2011)
* ENLIGHTENMENT AND GLOBAL HISTORY Dissemination Activity (October 15, 2011)
* M.A. student Selda Banci received METU Best Thesis Award with her study on the Turkish Pavilion at 1958 World’s Fair, which she completed under the supervision of Assoc. Prof. Dr. Elvan Altan Ergut.
* M.A. student Deniz Özden received "METU Course Performance Award".
* Photos of Ph.D. student Sibel Acar Yilmaztürk received awards at the “Turkish Architecture 2010” photograph competition organized by Architects’ Association.
* Ph.D. students Ezgi Yavuz and Meltem Özkan passed their Qualification Exams.
* Ph.D. student Sule Kilic defended her dissertation proposal.
* Suna Guven and Sevil Enginsoy Ekinci attended SAH Conference in April 2010 in Chicago, USA.
* Elvan Altan Ergut and Belgin Turan Özkaya attended CAA Conference to chair a session in February 2010 in Chicago, USA.
* Dana Arnold (Southampton University), Elvan Altan Ergut and Belgin Turan Özkaya organized a workshop in May 6-7 as part of their “Ambivalent Geographies” project, where Ali Uzay Peker (ODTU), Nabil Abu-Dayyeh (Jordan), Sylvia Shorto (Lebanon), Somayah Al-Solaiman (Saudi Arabia) and Andrew Ballantyne (Newcastle-UK)) presented papers.
* A tour was organized in May 21-23 to Büyükada by Elvan Altan Ergut in connection with her course “Ottoman Architecture in the Nineteenth Century”.
*AH 504 Prothesis Seminar Presentations took place on June 10, 2010, at Kubbealti.
Yunus Çetin _ Beyond Built Form: The Colosseum
Kemal Baran _ Writing/Drawing/Travelling: Karl Friedrich Schinkel’s Journeys to Italy, France and Britain
Harika Günsoy _ 19th century Gaziantep (Ayintap); Spatial and Social Context of Traditional Houses
Sema Öz _ Understanding an Architectural Historian: A Survey of Beatriz Colomina’s Writings
*Elvan Altan Ergut and Belgin Turan Özkaya attended EAHN Conference to chair a session in June 2010 in Portugal.
* Ali Uzay Peker and Namik Erkal presented papers at the EAHN Conference in June 2010 in Portugal.
* Kemal Reha Kavas, Prof. Dr. Jale Erzen'in danismanliginda tamamladigi doktora tezi ile, Mustafa N. PARLAR Egitim ve Arastirma Vakfi'nin 2008-2009 Ogretim Yili ODTU Yilin Tezi Odulu'nu, kazandi.
* Umit Firat Acikgoz, Doc. Dr. Belgin Turan Ozkaya'nin danismanliginda ve Y. Doc. Dr. Ahmet Ersoy'un yardimci danismanliginda tamamladigi tezi ile, Turk Sosyal Bilimler Dernegi'nin Genc Sosyal Bilimciler Yarismasi'nda Yuksek Lisans Mansiyon Odulu'nu kazandi.
*Ph.D. students Sule Kilic and Ozlem Mutlu passed their Qualification Exams.
* Ph.D. students Ceren Katipoglu and Yesim Uysal defended their dissertation proposals.
* Dana Arnold (Southampton University), Elvan Altan Ergut and Belgin Turan Özkaya organized a workshop as part of their Ambivalent Geographies project, where Aygul Agir (ITU), Doris Abousseif (SOAS),Namik Erkal (METU), Alev Erkmen (YTU) and Patricia Morton (UC-Riverside) presented papers.
* Elvan Altan Ergut was a member of the Organizing Committee and attended "DOCOMOMO_Türkiye Poster Sunuslari. Modernizmin Yerel Açilimlari" to chair a session on November 19-21, 2009 in Diyarbakir.
* Meltem Ozkan, Baharak Tabibi and Ezgi Yavuz attended "DOCOMOMO_Türkiye Poster Sunuslari. Modernizmin Yerel Açilimlari" and presented posters on November 19-21, 2009 in Diyarbakir.
* Elvan Altan Ergut and Belgin Turan Ozkaya undertook research in London between September 3-13, 2009 as part of their Ambivalent Geographies project.
* METU talks ARCHITECTURAL HISTORY 25
"Reconstructing Knowledge: New Architectural Practices from Istanbul throughout the Tanzimat Era", Göksun Akyürek, Gebze Yuksek Teknoloji Enstitusu. 12:30, Tuesday, November 17, 2009,Kubbealti, METU Faculty of Architecture
* Middle East Technical University Graduate Program in Architectural History will organize a photography exhibition that aims to reflect different interpretations of the interaction of “space”, “time” and “people” on December 3-11, 2009 at the METU Faculty of Architecture Exhibition Room.
Submission Deadline: November 9, 2009
* METU Graduate Program in Architectural History will organize the sixth Doctorate Researches Symposium which will meet on December 3-4, 2009.
Theme: “Spaces / Times / Peoples: Patronage and Architectural History”. Deadline: October 12, 2009.
(“Zamanlar / Mekanlar / Insanlar: Hamilik ve Mimarlik Tarihi”, 3-4 Aralik 2009. Son Katilim Tarihi: 12 Ekim 2009.)
Mail Adress: Middle East Technical University Department of Architecture Graduate Program in History of Architecture Doctorate Researches Symposium Organizing Committee Inönü Bulvari 06531 Ankara-TURKEY
phone: (90-312) 210 62 04 - 210 22 03, fax: (90-312) 210 79 66, e-mail: email@example.com
* PhD students Mehmet Sener, Baharak Tabibi and Ahmet Erdem Tozoglu defended their dissertation proposals.
* AH 504 Prothesis Seminar Presentations took place on June 9, 2009, at Kubbealti.
Özgür Üztürk, “New Visual Technologies in History of Architecture: A Highway without Barriers”. Supervisor: Suna Güven.
* Professor Dana Arnold of Southampton University organized a workshop on “gender” and “visuality” on June 3-4 at Room no. 306.
* Elvan Altan Ergut attended the conference "Ulusalcilik ve Mimarlik", organized by Ugur Tanyeli and Bülent Tanju at Osmanli Bankasi Müzesi on June 2 in Istanbul. She presented the paper entitled " Ulusalciligin Çesitlenen Yüzleri ve Mimarlik".
* PhD students Ceren Katipoglu and Y. Yesim Uysal took their Qualification Exams.
* A tour was organized to Hattusa on May 31 by Tugba Tanyeri Erdemir in connection with her course “Architecture of the Ancient Near East”.
* Suna Güven attended the annual conference organized by Mediterranean Studies Organization on May 27-30 in Cagliari, Sardinia. She presented the paper entitled "Beyond Image and Content: Building the Cyprus Archaeological Museum".
* Belgin Turan Özkaya attended the annual conference organized by Mediterranean Studies Organization on May 27-30 in Cagliari, Sardinia. She presented the paper she co-authored with Elvan Altan Ergut entitled "‘Authors’ of Cultural History from the Ottoman Empire to the Turkish Republic ".
* Elvan Altan Ergut attended the conference "British Architecture Abroad", organized by Society of Architectural Historians of Great Britain and European Architectural History Network on May 16 in London. She presented the paper entitled "Displaying Abroad: The British Architecture and Urbanism Exhibitions in Turkey".
M.A. students Sibel Acar and Ezgi Yazici and Ph.D. student Özlem Mutlu received "METU Course Performance Award".
* METU talks ARCHITECTURAL HISTORY 24
"An Overview of Byzantine Period Settlements around Komana Pontika in North-Central Turkey", Burcu Erciyas, Emine Sökmen april 17, 2009, friday, 12:30 kubbealti, metu faculty of architecture
* METU Architectural History Graduate Program hosted European Architectural History Network’s Fourth Annual Business Meeting, February 13-15, 2009.
* METU talks ARCHITECTURAL HISTORY 23
"Introduction to Medieval Giorgian Architecture: Chronology and Typology", Irene Giviashviliapril 1, wednesday, 12:30, kubbealti, faculty of architecture
* METU talks ARCHITECTURAL HISTORY 22
Being Specific: Homo Balkanicus and the Revenge of the Good Savage, Carmen Popescu, National University of Arts, Bucharest, Romania.
February 17, 2009, Friday, 12:30, Kubbealti, METU Faculty of Architecture
* METU talks ARCHITECTURAL HISTORY 18
Architecture as Symbolic Form: Life and Work of Hans Poelzig, Prof.Dr. Matthias Schirren, Technische Universitat Kaiserslautern
February 16, Monday, 12:30, Kubbealti, METU Faculty of Architecture
* METU talks ARCHITECTURAL HISTORY 19
The (Architectural) Politics of Commemoration: Building Abdulhamid II's Silver Jubilee Alev Erkmen Yildiz Technical University
November 21, Friday, 12:30, Kubbealti, METU Faculty of Architecture
* METU talks ARCHITECTURAL HISTORY 20
Revolving Modernity: Tradition and Novelty in Seljuk and Ottoman Architecture Dieter Marcos Koblenz University
November 25, Tuesday, 12:30, Kubbealti, METU Faculty of Architecture
* METU talks ARCHITECTURAL HISTORY 21
The Temple and The King: Urartian Ritual Spaces and Their Role in Royal Ideology Tugba Tanyeri-Erdemir Middle East Technical University
December 17, Wednesday, 12:30, Kubbealti, METU Faculty of Architecture
* PhD students Mehmet Sener, Baharak Tabibi and Ahmet Erdem Tozoglu took their Qualification Exams.
* PhD students Kemal Reha Kavas, Çilga Gürsel-Resuloglu and Gül Öztürk defended their dissertation proposals.
* AH 504 PROTHESIS SEMINAR PRESENTATIONS took place on January 14, 2009, at Kubbealti.
Indrit Bleda, "Influences of Political Regime Shifts on the Urban Scene of a Capital City – Case Study: Tirana". Advisor: Belgin Turan Özkaya, Co-Advisor: Elvan Altan Ergut
Ümran Keskin, "Hagia Sophia: From Church and Mosque to Museum". Advisor: Suna Güven
* Elvan Altan Ergut and Belgin Turan Özkaya organized METU AH 08 Workshop on “Architectural History & Display”, in conjunction with AH 08 Tour to Istanbul on December 19-21, 2008.
* Elvan Altan Ergut was a member of the Organizing Committee and attended “DOCOMOMO_Türkiye Poster Sunuslari. Modernizmin Yerel Açilimlari” to chair a session on December 25-56, 2008 in Bursa.
* Ceren Katipoglu and Ezgi Yavuz attended “DOCOMOMO_Türkiye Poster Sunuslari. Modernizmin Yerel Açilimlari” and presented posters on December 25-56, 2008 in Bursa.
* Meltem Özkan, Özgür Öztürk and Övgü Pelen received first prizes in art, people, and space categories at the Architectural History Photography Competition held in connection with AH 601 Istanbul Tour.
* Jale Erzen received the “Award for Contribution to the Profession” at the XIth National Architecture Awards given by Turkish Chamber of Architects.
* Res. Asst. Ceren Katipoğlu received 2006-2007 "METU Thesis Award" with the study entitled "An Analysis of Architect Sinan's Late Period Mosques" that she completed under the supervision of Prof.Dr. Jale Erzen.
* Ph.D. student Kemal Reha Kavas received 2006-2007 "METU Course Performance Award".
* Sevil Enginsoy Ekinci attended the conference "Le Livre et l'Architecte/The Book and the Architect", organized by Institut National d'Histoire de l'Art (INHA) and Ecole Nationale Superieure d'Architecture (ENSA) de Paris-Belleville between 31 January and 2 February. She presented the paper entitled "The Eye, the Ear and the Mouth: Production and Consumption of Filarete's Treatise on Architecture".
*Sevil Enginsoy Ekinci attended the 61st Annual Meeting of the Society of Architectural Historians in Cincinnati, Ohio, on April 23-27, 2008. She presented a paper entitled "When Palladio Met Sinan: An Alternative Reading of Architectural Encounters between Venice and Istanbul in the 16th Century".
* Sevil Enginsoy Ekinci was awarded the Scott Opler Emerging Scholar Fellowship for the paper she presented at the 61st Annual Meeting of SAH at Cincinnati, OH on April 23-27.
* Elvan Altan Ergut attended the symposium and workshop BUILDING MODERNITY IN THE BALKANS in Bucharest, on May 23-24 to present a paper entitled "Notes on the Historiography of Modern Architecture in Turkey".
* Belgin Turan Özkaya attended the symposium and workshop BUILDING MODERNITY IN THE BALKANS in Bucharest, on May 23-24 to present a paper entitled "Ambivalent Geographies and 'Modernity': Situating Difference in Architectural History".
* PhD students Kemal Reha Kavas, Gül Öztürk and Çilga Resuloglu took their Qualification Exams until the end of May.
* Belgin Turan Özkaya gave the keynote speech at the seminar on "How to Write Architectural History" at the Institute of Art History in Estonian Academy of Arts in Talinn on June 3.
* AH 504 PROTHESIS SEMINAR PRESENTATIONS took place on June 6, 2008, at Kubbealti
Sibel Yilmaztürk Acar, "Rethinking Architectural Imagery: Use of Photography in Architectural History". Advisor: Sevil Enginsoy Ekinci, Co-Advisor: Belgin Turan Özkaya
Ezgi Yazici, "The Levantine Architects in the Ottoman Empire: Their Institutions, Relations with Other 'Minorities', and Their Reflections in Ottoman Architecture". Advisor: Namik Erkal, Co-Advisor: Paolo Girardelli
* Elvan Altan Ergut and Belgin Turan Özkaya organized a session at the 11th International Congress of Economic and Social History of Turkey on June 17-21 at Bilkent University.
‘Authors’ of Cultural Production and the Shaping of History in Early Republican Turkey
Elvan ALTAN ERGUT and Belgin TURAN ÖZKAYA - Introduction
Can BILSEL – “‘Orient und Okzident’: Ekrem Akurgal, Archaeology and the Problem of Monumental Culture”
Oya ATALAY – “Ernst Egli: Between Tradition and Modernity”
Giorgio GASCO – “Bruno Taut and the Turkish Ministry of Culture: Professional Routes as State Architect in Republican Turkey, 1936-1938”
Ferdan ERGUT - Discussion
*TRANSITIONS INTO MODERNITY, NEW READINGS IN THE MIDDLE EASTERN INTELLECTUAL HISTORY (JUNE 26, 2008)
Organized jointly by: The Center for Asian and Middle Eastern Architecture (CAMEA), The University of Adelaide, Middle East Technical University (METU) Graduate Program in Architectural History and Graduate Program in Middle Eastern Studies
* PhD students Pelin Gürol, Kenneth Hayes and Murat Kenan Sentürk defended their dissertation proposals until the end of June.